DevOps explained by Mr. Mahesh Chandra
Mr. Mahesh Chandra has over two decades of experience in delivering data solutions to various corporations including fortune 500 companies. This covers close to a decade’s experience working in US and UK at client location. He brings with him extensive knowledge and skills in Architecting, Project Execution & Management for Design & Development /Enhancement/Service Support of DWH/BI solutions, for clients in various sectors and geographical regions. His core skills are Data Architecture, Data Modelling, Informatica, Data Stage and SAP. Moreover, he has good command over Big Data and Google Cloud Platform technologies including DevOps.
Can you introduce your company briefly?
SVIT Global Solutions is a boutique digital transformation company that provides Cloud data solutions, DevOps and integration services to the clients. We provide end-to-end services starting from defining architecture, migration strategy, development, and support for data and analytics projects. With the help of a highly skilled and dedicated team, we add value in each step of your business process.
What is DevOps?
DevOps is a philosophy where we try to implement operation functionalities with the development mindset. This translates into automation of :
- Entire deployment process to different environments (Dev,Stage, Test, Pre-prod and Prod) including but not limited to in-process testing
- Automation of platform setup with appropriate tooling and development
- Automation of alerting and corrective mechanism using tooling
- Configuration management and ensuring configuration across various environments is in sync with the help of tooling
When would you use DevOps?
DevOps by the inherent nature of the capabilities can be used for the end to end process like:
- Continuous integration of the code (Build generation)
- Continuous deployment of bundles (Artifact deployment)
- Configuration management of the platforms (Sync between environments)
- Automated testing within the CI/CD pipeline
- Security implementations as a part of overall automation
- Setting up of platforms as a part of IAAC (Infrastructure as a code)
What are the benefits of DevOps?
- Elimination of human errors related to deployment
- Prevention of mis-configuration during artifact preparation
- Validation of every deployment steps before actual deployment into various environments
- Possibility of using deployment strategies like Blue/Green, Canary deployments, Red/Black deployments
- Automation of repeatable activities to help with economies of scale
How does SV IT Global Solutions provide DevOps solutions?
SV IT Global Solutions adopt Agile delivery model for the successful deployment of DevOps solutions.
At the start of the application development project the team understands the requirement from the client and develops user stories as mentioned by the end user. The list of features based on these stories will serve as backlog for the development team.
The product will be developed in multiple increments by following Minimum Viable Product (MVP) approach.
Sprint Planning: Sprint planning initiates the sprint by identifying user stories to be delivered for the sprint. The plan is created by collaborative work of the entire team.
Daily Scrum: This is a non-traditional approach to application development where the team meets daily for about 15 minutes to create a plan for the day. The main objective of the team will be to remove impediments in achieving the sprint goal.
Sprint Review/Retrospection: Sprint reviews are conducted at the end of each sprint, the purpose is to review the outcome of the sprint and determine future adaptations. The team reviews the sprint outcome with its stakeholders and what has changed in the environment.
Continuous Integration: While multiple developers work on different features, code is routinely integrated into a main repository, where it is tested and integrated
Continuous Testing: Through automated testing, released codes are tested early. The goal is to determine the impact of the changes in the code as fast as possible and whether the changes can be safely deployed into production.
Continuous Delivery: When the code is able to go through integration and testing, it is then automatically deployed into a dev/staging environment. The team makes the decision to deploy the changes into production. Thus, a minimum viable product (MVP) is made available.
Want to know more about SVIT Global Solutions? Check their company profile.